Need help getting started with a Grab-and-Go bag? Valley Bureau of CERT is conducting a free workshop on January 27, 2019 in Sherman Oaks:
What: LAFD CERT January "Go Bags: Get the Year Started off Prepared!" Community Meeting
When: January 27, 2019
Time: 12:30pm - 2:30pm
Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys Rec Center
5056 Van Nuys Blvd, Sherman Oaks, 91403
January is here – and it is the best month to look ahead and prepare ourselves for a new year. Regarding our Home/Work/Car Prep Kits - it means time to review, update, replace…
Review what we need in our Go Bags for Home, Car and Work
Update our kits with suggestions from SOS and our fellow community members
Replace expired items in our kits and batteries in our smoke detectors
• Are you prepared? What have you done to prepare since last January?
• Water barrels filled and secure - or a good stockpile of potable water bottles and containers on hand?
• Several weeks’ worth of groceries, or at the very least, a couple of weeks’ worth? (Remember, the old "3-day supply" rule is outdated)
• Checked your first aid kits for expired products, damaged bandages and replaced as needed?
• If any family member is on medication(s), do you have an extra supply on hand? Have copies of all those important documents in a sealed and sturdy plastic bag readily accessible?
• Have a stash (or two) of cash, especially small-denominated bills? (You're not going to get change for those twenties and fifties!)
• Is your Grab 'n' Go bag, Go bag, Bug-out bag, etc., near the front door and ready to go? Don't forget your car kits, pet kits, work kits, etc.
Yes, back by popular demand - our guest speaker for the January meeting is Jeff Edelstein of SOS Products. He will be sharing his knowledge and tips for what truly makes a solid Emergency Kit. And don’t forget that as a continuing supporter of CERT members, SOS always offers a 10% discount on store purchases to CERT graduates.
Please bring to the meeting:
· Your Emergency Kits, Backpacks or Go Bags (to remind you what is in there, what you need, and to check for expiration dates)
· Full PPE (helmet, goggles, dust mask, gloves (leather & medical), vest, flashlight, closed toe shoes), if you have them
· Any new Emergency Toys you’d like to share with the crowd
*** Please consider telling your neighbors about this meeting - when an event happens - you will want everyone around you to be prepared. Tell loved ones, co-workers, neighbors... CERT training is never a requirement for these meetings.
And as always, at the end of the meeting - - if you have any non-CERT community news that you would like to announce, please feel free to do so.