LADWP will begin electric infrastructure improvements in the Bel-Air area. The improvement is to remedy the frequent power outages experienced by the Bel-Air, Bel-Air Crest, Holmby Hills and Westwood areas. The work will begin on Sunset at the 405 Freeway and head eastward.
The timing of the project is the result of LADWP coordinating with METRO’s work on the Purple Line — when heavy excavating will commence in May 2020 on Wilshire Boulevard — and to prevent two major east-west transit corridors to cause heavy traffic impacts at the same time.
· Construction will begin after the current term ends at UCLA. LADWP have a meeting with UCLA next week and will be finalizing the schedule shortly.
· There will NOT be a full street closure of Sunset Blvd. Two traffic lanes be closed for construction -- primarily the 2 middle lanes, one going east and one going west. All other lanes will be open for traffic.
· Crews will be working Monday – Friday starting at 9:00am and ending at 3:30 PM. Crews will also be working on Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. On Saturdays, work crews may show up at the site as early at 6:00 AM but actual construction work will not begin until 8:00 AM. Crews will NOT be working during rush hour/heavy commuting times.
· Crews will be installing vaults on Saturdays only. This type of construction will not take place on a weekday.
· The first portion of construction will be in 3 sections on Sunset – see map in red. The Sunset portions will be completed by May 2020.
· Then in 2020, LADWP will start construction on the side streets marked in blue.
Below is LADWP’s Fact Sheet on the project.